Who hasn’t hummed or sang My Favorite Things from The Sound of Music? I guess not everyone was held captive by their grandma and forced to watch musicals as a kid. It’s a catchy tune even if the list of favorite things is bananas. My list doesn’t include bright copper kettles or woolen mittens, but to each her own. I’m fascinated by the thought that everyone’s lists are different—it’s what makes everyone so unique.
What if instead of asking people what they do for a living the first time you meet, you ask about their favorite things? You would get to know them on a whole new level. Have I done this? Not before this morning when I asked my sister. Everyone is going to say the people they love, but how many people love fat puppy bellies? My sweet sister does and so do I. Just the thought of it makes me smile.
There are the big categories of favorite things like kids, family, animals, jobs, hobbies, etc. I’m more interested in the specifics. To me, kids are little balls of chaos, but one of my favorite things is watching them draw or paint. They are totally free—no worries about perfection or criticism. I don’t want to hold a baby, but I do love those open mouth kisses that gobble your cheek and the smell of their hair freshly washed with baby shampoo.
I love my bratty weenie dog, but my favorite thing is when he burrows under the blankets and all I can see is his sweet face and big brown eyes framed by his old man eyebrows. I love my cats, but my favorite thing is when they visit me while I take a bubble bath to keep my company. Of course, I love my kids but my favorite thing is hearing them laugh at something completely absurd I’ve said. I love writing, but my favorite thing is when I string together a few words that end up being perfect together. I mostly like my job, but my favorite thing is having that first cup of coffee (with the perfect amount of creamer) with my friend who is more like a sister. It goes without saying that I love my husband, but one of my favorite things is, when I’m spinning out of control, he kisses me and everything is instantly better.
Some of my favorite things are just for me to know, but here are a few in no particular order:
- A full golden moon.
- Sunsets that light up the clouds with fuchsia and gold.
- Birds chirping all around me while I read outside.
- Internet videos of unlikely animal friendships.
- My husband wrapping me in a blanket right out of the dryer.
- Finding the perfect gift for someone and being so excited I can’t wait to give it.
- Having lunch with my girls before they run errands with me.
- Making people laugh because I’m too sassy for my own good.
- Bubble baths with lavender oil.
- Listening to my oldest daughter break into song in the middle of Target.
- Going to a Blue October concert with my favorite concert buddy.
- My youngest daughter saying something so unexpectedly funny that I can’t stop laughing.
- Eating all the chocolate covered caramels from a box of chocolates before anyone else has a chance to grab them.
- Looking through people’s photo albums.
- Watching my mother-in-law laugh so hard it looks like her face is going to crack in half.
- My oldest sister’s reaction to shirtless pictures of Chris Hemsworth.
- My youngest sister exchanging move lines from Stepbrothers with my husband.
- Seeing a folded towel in the morning left for me on the edge of the bathtub by my husband.
- Holding hands with my honey while we lay in bed watching television.
- The way my brother hugs me like he is keeping me from floating away.
- When my sister says turds and wieners to make me laugh.
- Sleeping Beauty and sassy Tinker Bell.
- Seeing a picture of my husband with my youngest daughter at a Blazer game.
- Snuggling up in my favorite blanket while watching movies with my husband.
- Reading a line from a book that makes me wish I had written it.
- An unexpected bouquet of roses.
When I’m having a hard day, “I simply remember my favorite things and then I don’t feel so bad.”
What are your favorite things?